Please update lang/cmucl to 20c

Michel Talon talon at lpthe.jussieu.fr
Mon Feb 27 18:32:55 UTC 2012

> any chance to see cmucl-20c (including cmucl-extras) in ports,
> while at the same time keeping the current lang/cmucl as, say,
> lang/cmucl19, because that version still supports non-SSE2
> CPUs?

The sse2 version is indeed much faster, and works on quite old computers nowadays
so i am not sure that the generic version is still useful.

> And while I'm asking for it, could the cmucl port include
> the sources (perhaps from the source release tar ball or
> as part of the building-from-source process?) in such a
> way that it is available from within lisp itself?

In fact the exact position of the source code from which the binary has been compiled
is annotated in the binary, so the only solution to make debugging, etc. work is to
avoid completely moving the source code after compilation. So practically you have to compile
cmucl (or sbcl) in your home and live it here. The ports system is useless here.

--

Michel Talon
talon at lpthe.jussieu.fr