CFT: pkgng support for tinderbox

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Wed Feb 15 23:23:06 UTC 2012

On Feb 15, 2012, at 3:04 PM, Doug Barton wrote:
> On 02/15/2012 14:27, George Liaskos wrote:
>> Thank you for the great work, pkg-updating.1 should be added in the MAN1
>> because pkg is currently falling under tinderbox.
>
> Shouldn't stuff like updating packages be in sbin & man section 8?

Comparing intro.1 to intro.8:

     Section one of the manual contains most of the commands which comprise
     the BSD user environment.  Some of the commands included in section one
     are text editors, command shell interpreters, searching and sorting
     tools, file manipulation commands, system status commands, remote file
     copy commands, mail commands, compilers and compiler tools, formatted
     output tools, and line printer commands.

	-----

     This section contains information related to system operation and maintenance.

     It describes commands used to create new file systems (newfs(8)), verify
     the integrity of the file systems (fsck(8)), control disk usage
     (edquota(8)), maintain system backups (dump(8)), and recover files when
     disks die an untimely death (restore(8)).	Network related services like
     inetd(8) and ftpd(8) are also described.

Well, yes, I suppose you could make a case for section 8, but it's not a perfect fit, especially if you consider packages/ports to be external to the FreeBSD operating system itself.

Regards,
--
-Chuck