FreeBSD ports which are currently scheduled for deletion

Chris Rees utisoft at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 07:32:15 UTC 2012

http://portsmon.FreeBSD.org/portoverview.py?category=databases&portname=p5-postgresql-plperl

>>> And what is wrong with plperl?
>>> It builds and works for me with postgresql 9.0. For example, without
>>> pl/perl PostgreSQL's dbilink module will not work.
>>

>> If you check out the "overview" page, it says the package name is:
>>
>>     postgresql-plperl-8.2.22_2
>>
>> It evidently works with PostgreSQL 8.2, which (as I understand it) is
>> being deprecated by the PostgreSQL project itself.  I think this plperl
>> deprecation is based on the fact the plperl package in question is for
>> PostgreSQL 8.2, though of course, I'm not 100% certain that's all there
>> is to it, and I do not know how this all applies to later versions of
>> PostgreSQL.  Perhaps someone else can provide more information.
>

> As I understand, the same port (databases/p5-postgresql-plperl) works for
different PostgreSQL version. It can be built with
databases/postgresqlXX-server. So, if you just don't deliver
postgresql-perl-8.2.22_2 PACKAGE, I don't care. But don't drop the PORT.
You just need to change DEFAULT_PGSQL_VER?=82 in its Makefile to
DEFAULT_PGSQL_VER?=84 and forget about it.

Committed, thanks.

Chris