helping out INDEX builds. best practices?

Michael Scheidell scheidell at FreeBSD.org
Wed Feb 8 02:07:03 UTC 2012

On 2/7/12 8:57 PM, Doug Barton wrote:

> ok, but I said these are two maintainers,
> Before I maintained either they were both maintained by 2 different
> people. :)
> Well yeah, but so what? Most people who maintain ports are
> cooperative/friendly and are willing to listen to reasoned arguments
> about solid technical changes. And for the rest we'll apply the LART.

so, in ../devel/subversion16/Makefile.common would need to include
Makefile.inc and the only thing in Makefile.inc would be:

PORTVERSION=    1.6.17

ok, but if I open a pr for subversion16, I am going to need to hack
GNATS and add a 'blocks' or 'depends on' so I get notified when its
committed :-)

I looked at Makefile.common, and I could include it, and override all
the nasty things in it, and make a very ugly makefile.

I am going to commit the original pr (which is just a one like change,
and pav committed the last makefile, so lart him too!)

Not sure how I would think of pav as an luser... .....

I am going to commit it, and work with both maintainers and see if we
can't come up with something for the future.

(I have also seen where there is a comment in the main Makefile that
says "please sync portrevision in port x and commit" (then you are on
the hook for two broken ports)

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
 >*| * SECNAP Network Security Corporation
d: +1.561.948.2259
w: http://people.freebsd.org/~scheidell