Localization in Firefox and Thunderbird

Gökşin Akdeniz goksin.akdeniz at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 11:13:00 UTC 2012

In the process of portupgrading installed ports process looks broken. I
run portupgrade to upgrade my ports and firefox-i18n port is marked as
IGNORE whenever I try tu upgrade it. Only work around solution is to
unisntall the old version, resintall the new one. this will only fetch
and install the preferred locale set by makeconfig. The proper xpi file
will reside in /usr/ports/distfiles/xpi/firefox-i18n/. It will be
installed but Firefox will start with English menus.

Here is my findings, I hope it helps.

Firefox and Thunderbird may run with different locales set for each
user. Both applications parses the configuration file which is pref.js
in /home/user_name/.mozilla/firefox/somestring.default
directory. The xpi-quick-locale-switcher edits prefs.js file
in .mozilla/firefox/somestring.defult directory with user interaction
and Firefox starts with preferred local afterwards.

That is what it used to be. Port installs the selected locale files
via Firefox chrome stuff and local settings still requires adjustment
with user interaction due to installed xpi files resides in user's home
directory in .mozilla/firefox/*.

The only solution I have is to remove the old local xpi file manually
and isnatll the new one from /usr/ports/distfiles/xpi/firefox-i18n/ and
restart firefox.
--
Gökşin Akdeniz <goksin.akdeniz at gmail.com>