Regression in PREFIX handling in packages

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Fri Aug 31 10:07:38 UTC 2012

I think this might be related to this thread, so I'm
posting it as a follow-up ...

On some FreeBSD 8.x systems, I get the following error:

===>  Deinstalling for security/ca_root_nss
readlink: illegal option -- f
usage: readlink [-n] [file ...]

It seems bsd.port.mk is trying to use /usr/bin/readlink
with the -f option when checking the PREFIX, but this
option isn't supported on all 8.x systems.

Wouldn't it make more sense to use /bin/realpath instead
of /usr/bin/readlink -f?  There's no reason to break
older system.

Best regards
   Oliver

"File names are infinite in length, where infinity is set to 255 characters."
        -- Peter Collinson, "The Unix File System"