pkg (aka pkgng) 1.0 released

John Nielsen lists at jnielsen.net
Thu Aug 30 15:56:43 UTC 2012

On Aug 30, 2012, at 9:43 AM, John Nielsen <lists at jnielsen.net> wrote:

> Thanks to everyone involved.
>
> I've been lightly testing pkg for a little while, but I still mainly use ports. This announcement prompted me to switch from portupgrade to portupgrade-devel (20120827 version) to see how it works with PKGNG. I encountered a couple issues:
>
> Portupgrade doesn't remove the pkgdb.db.lock reliably.
> Portupgrade doesn't handle stale lock files (just waits indefinitely for a nonexistent process to finish). A big problem when combined with the above.
> Running "portupgrade pkg" failed. It stalled trying to unregister the package installation after the old pkg was removed. I didn't dig too deeply but it seems like a dependency chicken-and-egg problem.

I tried this again so I could provide some more details. This is what shows in the terminal when it stalls:
	--->  Backing up the old version
	--->  Uninstalling the old version
	USING PKGNG
	--->  Deinstalling 'pkg-1.0'
	--->  Preserving /usr/local/lib/libpkg.so.0 as /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg/libpkg.so.0
	The following packages will be deinstalled:

	        pkg-1.0

	The deinstallation will free 7 MB
	Deleting pkg-1.0... done
	[Updating the pkgdb <format:bdb_btree> in /var/db/pkg ...

Running ps in another terminal shows "pkg query %n-%v". Since the actual pkg is now gone, I suspect this is really /usr/sbin/pkg. I further suspect that it's waiting for y/n input (whether to install the binary pkg) on its nonexistent stdin somewhere. I killed it (pkg) and portupgrade seemed to finish normally.