pkgng questions

Matt Burke mattblists at icritical.com
Thu Aug 30 10:06:10 UTC 2012

1. How do I get pkg to use packages built against 9.1-RC1? VirtualBox is
playing up (no ethernet, unkillable crashes, etc) and I suspect it's the
kernel module...

2. Is there a list of ports like nvidia-driver, nspluginwrapper,
linux-f10-flashplugin, sampleicc (dependency of libreoffice!) which aren't
in pkgng?

2a. How do I install libreoffice when a dependency isn't in pkgng?

3. How do I force pkg to install/upgrade a single package, regardless of
dependencies being out of date?

4. How do I get poudiere to build against a local src/obj tree, or a zfs
snapshot of a pre-built jail, instead of 9.0-RELEASE?

5. How do I get poudiere to build against the packages a pkgng client will
use instead of building everything for itself? It might help to reduce the
discrepancy between the 30 secs it takes to rebuild sysutils/conky from
ports on my desktop, and the >1hour it takes poudiere on a hefty server to
download+build X and all its dependencies

6. Is pkgng really replacing base when poudiere requires ZFS? How will
ports work if pkg_* are gone? Seriously, shouldn't ports at least be able
to work with pkgng, and the default FreeBSD install be to a ZFS root before
people are stuffed with the "wrong" choices (UFS) they made?

7. How do I configure pkg to use packages from a certain historical
release? I need my servers to be identical software-wise regardless of when
I install them. In other words, I DON'T want the latest versions.

8. Is there a pkgng equivalent of 'ls -lt /var/db/pkg' without firing up
sqlite?

9. Why didn't pkg upgrade tell me it replaced my custom-built packages? I'd
have liked for it to not break stuff when /var/db/ports/*/options differed
from the options I can see pkgng keeps in its metadata...

--

The information contained in this message is confidential and intended for the addressee only. If you have received this message in error, or there are any problems with its content, please contact the sender.

iCritical is a trading name of Critical Software Ltd. Registered in England: 04909220.
Registered Office: IC2, Keele Science Park, Keele, Staffordshire, ST5 5NH.

This message has been scanned for security threats by iCritical. www.icritical.com