pkgng suggestion: renaming /usr/sbin/pkg to /usr/sbin/pkg-bootstrap

Ian Lepore freebsd at damnhippie.dyndns.org
Sun Aug 26 19:08:50 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2012-08-26 at 20:58 +0200, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 11:39:07AM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> > On 08/26/2012 05:58, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> > This isn't the security issue I was talking about by having sbin/pkg
> > pass every command line to local/sbin/pkg.
> >
> > You keep saying that you have no objections to changing the name. I am
> > asking you to do that. I don't care if it is pkg-bootstrap or something
> > else you like better. But please change the name to not be pkg, and
> > limit the functionality of the tool to bootstrapping the pkg package.
> >

> I received more feedback about keep pkg and changing it to
> pkg-bootstrap, so what should I do, changing it because you are asking for it?

Would this get better if the bootstrap tool were named pkg and were
installed on a fresh system at /usr/local/sbin, so that it in effect
replaces itself with the real thing, and has no need to leave a
forwarding stub in /usr/sbin ?

Maybe it could rename itself to /usr/local/sbin/pkg-bootstrap as part of
replacing itself, so that you could re-bootstrap your way out of a
problem later.

Hmmm, might have to be careful that future updates don't replace the
real thing with a newer bootstrap program.

-- Ian