Instafix for FreeBSD ports brokenness on 10.0?

Beech Rintoul beech at freebsd.org
Fri Sep 30 21:50:30 UTC 2011

On Friday 30 September 2011 13:10:20 Jim Trigg wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 5:10 AM, Erwin Lansing <erwin at freebsd.org> wrote:
> > That said, this patch is the wrong place to fix a problem to autotools.
> > It needs to be fixed in autotools, not bsd.port.mk.  No matter if it's
> > bsd.ports.mk or autotools, such a fix needs proper testing, for which
> > we do not currently have the resources as we are concentrating on
> > releasing 9.0.  I would suggest you do the same and make 9.0 the best
> > release possible during the next few weeks, after that we'll start
> > looking into 10.0.
>
> I have to admit that my reaction is not so much "Why won't you fix
> ports for 10.0" as "Why was 9.0 dropped out of CURRENT and 10.0
> introduced before 9.0 went STABLE?"
>
> Jim

At this point 9.0 and 10.0 are virtually identical. I really doubt that there
will be much development in -CURRENT till after 9.0 is released anyway.

A couple of the temporary fixes worked for me, so I can still update if I need
to. All in all this is minor compared to a few years ago when all development
was done directly on the head branch. You never knew from day to day and
sometimes by the hour if -CURRENT would even build let alone run. This is just
a bump in the road by comparison.

Beech
Beech Rintoul - FreeBSD Developer - beech at FreeBSD.org
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | FreeBSD Since 4.x
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | http://people.freebsd.org/~beech
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Skype: akbeech
/ \ - http://www.FreeBSD.org/releases/8.2R/announce.html