recent ports removal

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Fri Sep 30 18:04:53 UTC 2011

On 09/30/2011 02:54, Ruslan Mahmatkhanov wrote:
> Doug Barton wrote on 30.09.2011 13:50:
>> On 09/30/2011 02:40, Ruslan Mahmatkhanov wrote:
>>> Hi, Doug.
>>>
>>> You just removed www/pyblosxom. But we have a pr, that update it to
>>> latest (not-vulnerable) version: http://bugs.freebsd.org/160682.
>>
>> Julien took that PR, when he's ready to do the update he can pull the
>> files out of the Attic.
>>

>> Doug
>
> Ok, but as far i recall, there in ports@ was sounded a policy like "we
> do not remove the ports with open pr's on them".

I think you misunderstand what "remove" means in this context. :)  Or
perhaps you've never worked with a version control system ... It's
honestly hard for me to understand why it's hard for people to
understand this concept. When Julien is ready to do his work all he has
to do is type 'cvs co -D 2011-09-29 ports/www/pyblosxom
ports/www/Makefile' and then do his thing. Because a port has been
"removed" today is completely irrelevant to the possibility that it will
come back in a non-vulnerable form tomorrow.

Meanwhile, at one point in the past I did do a PR check for most if not
all of the ports that I removed, and I have committed several updates
from maintainers of ports that I had marked FORBIDDEN/DEPRECATED. In
this case because Julien took that PR I assume that he has some sort of
special knowledge/interest in the port, and is in the best position to
deal with it, so I am deferring to his judgement. In the meantime
removing it on schedule is the safest course of action.

hth,

Doug

			-- OK Go