Options for emulators/wine?

Thomas Mueller mueller6727 at bellsouth.net
Wed Sep 28 09:49:13 UTC 2011

from Chris Rees <crees at freebsd.org>:

> Some rather strange printers will be recognised by umass before ugen
> recognises them; you have to plug it in before umass is loaded or it
> becomes a mass storage device.

> I'm not sure that the Windows printer stack is included in Wine, why
> would you rather do that than use CUPS? The gutenprint drivers are
> often of a higher quality than the manufacturer's provided ones, and
> they install less trash.

I need umass, otherwise USB sticks and other USB disks are inaccessible.

Should the printer be plugged in and powered on at boot time?

I am already trying unsuccessfully to build hplip to access the printer in the Unix way, without wine.

With wine, I might want to try another way, using MS-Windows drivers if possible.

Building hplip failed due to a broken dependency, py-reportlab2

BROKEN=   does not package
(quoting from the Makefile)

Tom