USE_GCC and unnesessary RUN_DENEDS on gcc port (Was: Print +REQUIRED_BY as tree?)

Gerald Pfeifer gerald at pfeifer.com
Tue Sep 27 18:47:58 UTC 2011

On Tue, 13 Sep 2011, Lev Serebryakov wrote:
> Or, maybe automate this, as now port system warns user about "possible
> network servers" -- check all installed binaries and libraries for
> linkage with non-system-gcc libraries and add "run" dependency. But
> I'm not sure it is easy to do, as it should be done after installation,
> when, I afraid, adding RUN_DEPEND at this stage doesn't help, so this
> automatic should make all depends-related work (+REQUIRED_BY / +CONTENT)
> "by hands".

I think you have a good observation here.  One way of addressing it,
which would be simpler and less effort and risk, is to split the large
lang/gcc ports into smaller bits, including a run-time port, once the
work on this infrastructure (that Linux distributions have been using
for more than ten years) is in place.

In other words, have something like a gcc-runtime package that falls
out of the lang/gcc port and covers all those needs.  (That's not the
minimum, assuming we still have something -- bet it GCC 4.2 or LLVM
based in the base system -- but quite small.)

Gerald