Replacing procmail with maildrop

Conrad J. Sabatier conrads at cox.net
Mon Sep 26 09:27:05 UTC 2011

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 03:45:17 -0500
"Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd at over-yonder.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 02:43:50AM -0500 I heard the voice of
> Conrad J. Sabatier, and lo! it spake thus:
> >
> > I'm just wondering, though, if you could offer any advice on how to
> > convert something like the following procmail recipe I use for my
> > FreeBSD mailing lists.
>
> I work off the envelope sender, but you can adapt it.  Maildrop gives
> you subexpression matches.
>
> if($RETPATH =~ /^<owner-freebsd-([^@]+)/)
>     to $MBOXDIR/f-$MATCH1
>
> (of course, the cvs list ends up having to be special cased)
>

> So you'd just match the List-ID header similarly, something like
>
> if(/^List-ID: freebsd-([a-z]+).freebsd.org/)
>     to FreeBSD/$MATCH1
>
> (totally untested of course...)

Oh, I see now!  So the match result on the parenthesized subexpression
will, in fact, be exactly what I'm looking for already.  No more need
to "manually" strip away all the unwanted stuff with sed, as I was doing
for procmail.  No need for [re]formail, either.  Neat-o!  :-)

Thanks again.

--
Conrad J. Sabatier
conrads at cox.net