Re-starting daemons across upgrades?

Łukasz Wąsikowski lukasz at wasikowski.net
Sun Sep 18 20:42:24 UTC 2011

W dniu 2011-09-17 11:08, Matthias Andree pisze:

>>> - discuss whether we want/need to support this (a) in the framework that
>>> we currently use, (b) only in pkgng, (c) in portmaster and portupgrade
>>> where necessary.

>> Or we could have a facility to check whether services are running. For
>> example, I have some cron scripts, which are similar for all of the
>> services that I'm watching. They run periodically and restart services
>> if they are down. It does not matter if they are down because of an
>> upgrade or a failure, so this solution is more general. Here's an
>> example that I have for MySQL:

> Before we go that way, we should consider using runit by Gerrit Pape
> (smarden.org), Upstart, or port systemd.

We shouldn't go that way at all. Restarting service right after it's
update is not a good thing. In many cases service will not start,
because of needed configuration changes od other ports not recompiled or
updated. The safe way is to not stop service at all. Let the system
operator restart service manually when he finish all the needed update
tasks.

--
best regards,
Lukasz Wasikowski