overlays

Klaus T. Aehlig aehlig at linta.de
Fri Sep 16 10:04:21 UTC 2011

> Simplicity. [...] I've got ca. 70 Gentoo servers and I want my own
> portage overlay.

Thank you very much for that explanation! I was thinking in a different
direction, as the number of machines I have is quite limited, each
with very specific needs.

As long as it is only about adding new ports, I would probably have
/usr/ports/local a checkout of my personal repository with the rest
of /usr/ports a checkout of the official repository (cvs allows this
and cvs update will tacitly update each directory form the repository
it belongs). But as I said, I have no practical experience with the
same overlay on a bulk of machines. My thought was in the direction
of tweaking a single machine to its very specific needs while keeping
maintenance of the tweaked machine simple.

So thanks for clarifying this and best regards,
Klaus