testing PKGNG

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at FreeBSD.org
Wed Sep 14 08:43:49 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 11:16:19PM +0200, Michel Talon wrote:
> Sergio wrote:
>
> >I moved all my servers (about 40) to the pkgng (new generation)
> >package/port
> >system, and I can say that it is amazing... it is not yet finish, and
> >have some
> >minor "issues", but works very well, and is lightning fast..
> >
> >It is almost the same as "pacman"  (from Archlinux)..  you build a
> >"repository"  and install packages from that repository. when you
> >update the repository, the other servers can do an "upgrade"..
> >you do not have to have the ports tree in each server, and
> >you build the ports only on the master server....
> >
> >in the master server, there is a full gnome2 (with 842 dependencies)
> >that install right on the shelf with only one command: pkg install
> >gnome2
> >now I have a full functional server runing gnome, libreoffice, inkscape
> >hplip, cups printing, gdm...  in about 30 minutes from internet....
>
> I am extremely interested by what you are saying here. Do you mean that
> you can find somewhere precompiled packages that you can install in 30mn
> or that you use packages compiled on a master server? Of course the
> difference is that if you have just one machine in the basement instead
> of a server farm, the point of view is not the same ...
>
> By the way if you mention that pkgng shares something to some penguinist
> system, beware it will be villified by some guardians of the orthodoxy
> who are quite vocal. Anyways if it is indeed fast it will make a happy
> difference with the present pkg-* tools.

no pkgng do ont share something penguinist at all :)

pkgng is just the result of long studies and reflexion about packaging (studying
what is done elsewhere: apt/dpkg, yum/rpm, pacman, aix, solaris, netbsd, openbsd
and how to have something that try to take the good ideas from there, try not to
take the *over engineered* complicated part. And most important try to do it the
FreeBSD way: which means it should work with the ports tree as-is (and help
improve it in the future), so we are safe no real penguinism in pkgng :)

Bapt