[RFC] New ports idea: github / gitorious / bitbucket direct support.

Ruslan Mahmatkhanov cvs-src at yandex.ru
Sat Sep 10 18:10:04 UTC 2011

Chris Rees wrote on 10.09.2011 21:58:
> On 10 September 2011 18:47, Ruslan Mahmatkhanov<cvs-src at yandex.ru>  wrote:
>> Chris Rees wrote on 10.09.2011 21:33:
>>>

>>> Counterexamples welcome!
>>>
>>> Chris
>>
>> When i worked on net/erlyvideo port there on github were tarballs for some
>> old versions of it. When i asked author to create tarballs for new versions
>> too, he just delete all the tarballs :)
>> So i just create and host them by myself.
>>

> Hm, plain spiteful.  I like to think (or hope) that's not
> representative of most of our upstream friends ;)

Yep, for the second (and last) example - mediacore guys also ignored my
request. But they use tags on github and has tarballs on main website.

> The main question is, is it worth us writing code to handle a small
> minority of projects that refuse, or is it just easier to host this
> same minority ourselves?

Sure it worth. From my POV, maintainer should be avoided the pleasure to
mess with selfhosted and selfpackaged tarballs as much as possible.
Besides of inconvenience it also less reliable (both in availability and
security aspects).

--
Regards,
Ruslan