sysutils/cfs

perryh at pluto.rain.com perryh at pluto.rain.com
Sat Sep 10 07:11:45 UTC 2011

Matthias Andree <matthias.andree at gmx.de> wrote:
> Am 09.09.2011 11:09, schrieb Conrad J. Sabatier:
> > You fail to take into account the case where a port may need to
> > be reinstalled.  An extraordinary effort is required if the port
> > no longer exists in the ports tree.
>
> If a "port may need to be reinstalled" then you failed organize
> proper backups.  Not a valid point here.

Last I knew, if port X uses services provided by port Y and port
Y changes, port X often needs to be rebuilt and reinstalled even
though nothing in port X has changed.  AFAIK this has nothing to
do with backups.

If you've found a way to avoid ever having to rebuild, say, kdiff3
when something changes in KDE, I'm sure the authors of portupgrade
and portmaster would like to hear about it!  It would greatly
simplify their job.