ports-system priorities rant (Re: sysutils/cfs)

Matthias Andree mandree at FreeBSD.org
Thu Sep 8 16:36:47 UTC 2011

Am 08.09.2011 16:15, schrieb Mikhail T.:

> Having a poor port of an obscure
> piece of software is better, than no port at all.

A poor port is undesirable (and shouldn't be in the tree in the first
place).

An obscure piece of software is undesirable (and shouldn't be ported in
the first place).

Now guess what a poor port of an obscure piece of software is.

We're not there to run a museum of horrors, and we're not the starting
point or sole provider of such software.  In fact we should not even
attempt to do that.  People interested in that obscure software can
either help themselves without a port, can organize the necessary
assistance, or should not be running it.