ports-system priorities rant (Re: sysutils/cfs)

Michel Talon talon at lpthe.jussieu.fr
Thu Sep 8 14:46:47 UTC 2011

"Mikhail T." wrote:
>Having to deal with RedHat's yum at work, I got to say, I'd rather be
>building from source, than installing from "consistent packages", that
>somebody else built *to their* tastes.

Fedora crap is a very bad example. The canonical example of a binary
distribution which *works* is Debian. You can always very easily compile
a source Debian package to *your* taste, almost as easily as a FreeBSD
port. You don't need to compile the hundreds of packages that sit on
your hard disk, maybe you are interested in tweaking a couple of ports
to your liking and you get the benefit of a much faster installation and
upgrade of all the pristine packages.

>No, I don't want FreeBSD to go in that direction
>at all. Let RedHat cater to that market

While i think that going in this direction will be very beneficial to
FreeBSD and that ReHat doesn't come anywhere close to cater to this
market (i work in a lab which is almost 100% RedHat since many years,
and i am not happy at all with that. As much as Ubuntu is despised
here, it is light years ahead of the Fedora always beta stuff).

--

Michel TALON