sysutils/cfs

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Tue Sep 6 02:13:57 UTC 2011

On 09/05/2011 22:48, perryh at pluto.rain.com wrote:
> Doug Barton <dougb at freebsd.org> wrote:
>>
>> We understand that this is your perspective, however the community
>> in general has a different idea.
>
> I suppose it may depend on how one defines "the community".
>
> AFAIK there are maybe half a dozen or so developers who have
> recently put themselves on record as supporting the current,
> agressive deprecation campaign.  The number who have posted in
> opposition may well be smaller, so you are probably right if "the
> community" is defined as consisting only of those two groups :)

I don't. There have indeed been a few highly vocal individuals who have
opposed the idea of deprecating/removing anything. In contrast you have
a larger number of committers who are actively involved in attempting to
improve the situation, and a larger number who are silently supporting
the program.

In addition you have a much larger number of people who actively discuss
the topic in #bsdports. Currently there are 135 people in there, the
majority of whom are active ports maintainers.

So I'm defining "the community" as the vast majority of people who are
actively working on supporting FreeBSD ports.

>> That's an interesting idea, but incredibly unlikely to happen.
>
> It _certainly_ won't happen if those in charge refuse to try it!

My point was that the idea is impractical. I was trying to be polite.

> My *guess* is that "the largest percentage of our users" are what
> Julian calls "release users" -- those who install a release and
> corresponding ports, and don't touch it subsequently until they
> become aware of a problem.  They _may_ follow the security branch
> for their base release, but that won't make them aware of issues
> that have turned up in ports.

For security issues we have portaudit to handle this.

Doug

			-- OK Go