MASTER_SITE_SOURCEFORGE: how do *you* handle it? (resolved)

Conrad J. Sabatier conrads at cox.net
Mon Sep 5 16:50:44 UTC 2011

On Sun, 28 Aug 2011 21:05:11 -0500
"Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads at cox.net> wrote:

> I'm wondering how other ports maintainers are dealing with their
> definitions of MASTER_SITES=, DISTFILES=, DISTNAME=, etc. with regards
> to Sourceforge.
>
> In browsing a number of projects recently on Sourceforge, I've noticed
> that the paths to project distfiles are now using the element
> "projects" rather than "project".

As per the suggestion I got from Rob Farmer <rfarmer at predatorlabs.net>,
I went ahead and downloaded the distfile for the project I'm interested
in, then, from firefox's "Downloads" list, selected "Copy Download
Link":

http://voxel.dl.sourceforge.net/project/scidvspc/source/scid_vs_pc-4.5.tgz

I was rather surprised to see that the actual working link does, in
fact, use the element "/project/" rather than "/projects/", which I had
mistakenly concluded before from examining the link on the "Download"
button on the project's page (stupid, I know).

So, it turns out that the following is what works, at least in the case
of this particular port (if not for *all* Sourceforge ports):

MASTER_SITES=	SF/${PORTNAME}/source/

Along with defining DISTNAME and EXTRACT_SUFX, due to the non-standard
naming of this particular port's distfile (which, rather annoyingly,
includes underscore characters that aren't present in the project name).

So, the basic "rule of thumb", I see now, is "Ignore the Download link
on the project page, and check the actual link after downloading".
Wish I had realized this sooner and saved myself a lot of frustration.
Sometimes, you know, you're just too close to something to actually see
what's going on.

Anyway, finally reached a "happy ending" with this one.  Thanks to all
who responded.  I hope this information may help someone else who runs
into the same sort of confusion I went through earlier.

--
Conrad J. Sabatier
conrads at cox.net