sysutils/cfs

Chris Rees utisoft at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 11:11:49 UTC 2011

On 5 Sep 2011 11:06, "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs at berklix.com> wrote:

> Mark Linimon wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 04, 2011 at 10:32:30PM +0200, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
> > > It is not responsible to threaten to remove ports without warning
> > > between releases for non urgent reasons.
> >
> > portmgr has no such policy.
> >
> > Ports get deleted all the time due to various issues.  I prefer to see
> > a 1- or 2-month warning via EXPIRATION_DATE, but that's my personal
> > preference, not a written policy.
> >
> > mcl
>
> Drive by ports shootings are becoming too frequent, & will get
> FreeBSD a bad name as immature & poorly managed
> A solution: Ensure a policy of expiry dates expire a release after
> a warning is given in a previous releases (except in emergency).

No. This is not a drive-by removal, this is a public notice of depreciation

Debian removed this bitrotted software a while ago, are you calling them
irresponsible too?

Also, don't use tagged ports trees, it's in no way supported, hence
rendering that argument moot too.

Also, this is a security vulnerability, how much more of an emergency can it
get?

Next time I'm going to avoid these tantrums and just deprecate it, like
everyone else does. Have you even noticed the removal of any ports recently?
If you care so much, follow the cvs list and watch out for them.

Chris