[ANNOUNCE]: clang compiling ports, take 2

Matthias Andree mandree at FreeBSD.org
Sun Sep 4 07:40:08 UTC 2011

Am 04.09.2011 05:09, schrieb Gerald Pfeifer:
> On Mon, 25 Jul 2011, Matthias Andree wrote:
>> Namely: if a port sets USE_GCC=4.2+ (for instance, sysutils/busybox does
>> that), the Pointyhat build does not install GCC.  I think the bug is in
>> ports/Mk/bsd.gcc.mk which is unaware that there are newer clang-based
>> 9-CURRENT systems without gcc.
>>
>> I hope we can have another -exp run soon that addresses this.
>
> Matthias, sorry for not getting to this earlier.  If you look at
> Mk/bsd.port.mk, there is a line
>
>   GCCVERSION_040200=      700042 999999 4.2
>
> which indicates that GCC 4.2 has been in the base system starting
> with FreeBSD 7.0 (and that magic 42 marker) until the rest of times.
>
> Can you advise which value of __FreeBSD_version to use?  The official
> list at
>   http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/freebsd-versions.html
> does not have a reference from what I can see.

Gerald,

I'm not sure if checking one of the OS Version features will be
sufficient.  I am unaware of how exactly the Clang switchover is going
to happen, and how we detect it.

Possibly we need to check if ${CC} is part of the base system, and if it
isn't, install a GCC port, at least for now.

Best,
Matthias