Ports system quality

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at FreeBSD.org
Sat Sep 3 08:21:23 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 02, 2011 at 11:49:48AM +0200, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
> Hi,
> Reference:
> > From:		"Julian H. Stacey" <jhs at berklix.com>
> > Date:		Fri, 02 Sep 2011 03:07:40 +0200
> > Message-id:	<201109020107.p8217eFJ089679 at fire.js.berklix.net>
>
> I wrote:
> > Microsoft must grin at all us BSD, Linux, maybe Solaris & presumably
> > even now http://www.minix3.org free source enthusiasts reinventing
> > similar old ports shims for same old 3rd party wheels:.
>
> FYI:
> http://www.minix3.org ->
> http://wiki.minix3.org/en/UsersGuide/InstallingBinaryPackages ->
> http://pkgin.net/
> "
> pkgin is known to work and have been tested under the following platforms :
>     * NetBSD 4.0
>     * NetBSD 5.{0,1}
>     * NetBSD current
>     * DragonFly BSD 2.0 to 2.8
>     * DragonFly BSD current
>     * Solaris 10/SunOS 5.10
>     * Opensolaris/SunOS 5.11
>     * Debian GNU/Linux 5.0
>     * Mac OS X 10.{5,6}
>     * MINIX 3.1.8
> "
>
> No /pub/FreeBSD/branches/-current/ports/ports-mgmt/pkgin .
> I'm not familiar with pkgin, but nice to see OS co-operation.
>
> Cheers,
> Julian

pkgin is mostly driven by a single person, I really know well pkgin, because I
ported it to FreeBSD in the past. There are patches from Minix and Dragonfly
users, but through mostly things are done by the original author, and to help
portability but no much.
I have picked up some ideas from pkgin for pkgng and the last version of pkgin
picked up some idea from pkgng. (Me and Emile Heitor - the author of pkgin -
discuss and share ideas quite often about pkgin and pkgng)

regards,
Bapt