Ports system quality

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Fri Sep 2 12:06:38 UTC 2011

> > No /pub/FreeBSD/branches/-current/ports/ports-mgmt/pkgin .
> > I'm not familiar with pkgin, but nice to see OS co-operation.
>
> So, what do you actually mean by this?

Re-read:

] Microsoft must grin at all us BSD, Linux, ....
] ... reinventing similar old ports shims for same old 3rd party wheels

I found a URL to a rare sample of co-operation.
	There's a German phrase about "Tellerrand" ...
	Its wise to occasionaly look beyond ones own soup bowl :-)

BSDs should co-operate more, or lose.  Linux is the small
brother that's already outgrown us, & offers more users & jobs.
NetBSD & FreeBSD don't even speak the same language on ports.

17th Sept in ~600 cities globaly, will be http://www.softwarefreedomday.org
Mostly Linux people last year here, with an occasional BSD person.
	( BTW A Lot of Ubuntu CDROMs have been distributed world
	wide to cities ready for free give away; a few of us tried
	to arrange a BSD catch up, but time & lack of a rich BSD
	sponsor for global mailing limited that. Please consider
	joining SFD as a BSD exhibitor in your city that day. )

BSD loses to Linux when visitors first ask "Does it have
packages for ... ? How to build/ install those ?" & Linux people
tune out at different answers for *BSDs.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below, not above;  Indent with "> ";  Cumulative like a play script.