Update GnuTLS

Carmel carmel_ny at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 1 10:51:45 UTC 2011

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 20:45:54 -0700
Roman Bogorodskiy articulated:

>   Kurt Jaeger wrote:
>
> > > GnuTLS has been updated. URL:
> > > <http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.encryption.gpg.gnutls.devel/5243>
> > >
> > > I was wondering if there is any work being done on getting the new
> > > version into the ports tree. GnuTLS 3.0.x branch replaces the
> > > GnuTLS 2.12.x branch as the supported stable branch. The
> > > experimental 2.99.x branch is now probably comatose as well.
> >
> > gnutls-3.0.1 needs p11-kit in version 0.4 or newer, maybe that's why
> > we're still at 2.x ?
> >
> > And re-testing the whole dependencies on that -- sounds like a
> > close call for 9.0-REL...
>
> Hello,
>
> p11-kit is not a main issue indeed.
>
> First of all, I'd prefer to wait some time and see what kind of
> problems gnutls users have with the new branch since it's quite new
> still, the first 3.0 release was just about one months ago.
>
> And yes, it takes some time to build-test all the dependencies and
> additionally it's nice to be able to run-test all the stuff (which I
> obviously cannot do), so I just test a number of more or less popular
> ports in runtime, but it almost always happens that some of the ports
> end up broken after update.
>
> So I would prefer to wait with the update a couple of weeks. Or, if
> there's an urgent need I may consider adding it as gnutls3 meanwhile.

IMHO, renaming the existing port to gnutls2 would leave the "gnutls"
port name available for the new 3.x version. Personally, I think it
would eliminate a lot of confusion. I know on the "claws-mail" forum,
there has been chatter from the developers about work they did to
insure that the app works with the 3.x version and still be compatible
with the older 2.x version. Other than that, I have no actual knowledge
of how other programs will interact with it.

In any case, releasing this into the ports system with the advanced
notice that its compatibility with existing ports is still
undetermined as well as expressly requesting feedback on ports that
break or otherwise fail with this new version would be advisable and
welcome. Way too many ports are being released lately with no advanced
warning that they were not tested properly.

Just my 2¢.

--
Carmel ✌
carmel_ny at hotmail.com