cvs commit: ports/mail/procmail Makefile

Ade Lovett ade at FreeBSD.org
Thu Sep 1 02:50:19 UTC 2011

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 19:11:02 +0200
Matthias Andree <mandree at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> Am 31.08.2011 07:43, schrieb Ade Lovett:
> > On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 18:06:15 +0200
> > 1.  In the context of a FreeBSD port, there is absolutely nothing
> > wrong with mail/procmail as it stands.  That is to say, it compiles
> > and runs on all supported OS releases and architectures.
>
> Which is insufficient in the light of known design flaws and bugs.

Hardly.  Unless, of course you have empirical proof that mail/procmail
is the only such port that suffers from bugs.

> > 3.  Particularly when there's no magic tool to convert all
> > the .procmailrc's out there to mail/whizzy-new-thing.
>
> Cleaning up every 7 years or so is a good idea actually.

Jolly good.  I'll go nuke autoconf-2.13 (January 1999) and automake-1.4
(July 2002).  We'll ignore the emacs, xemacs, thunderbird users when
their stuff doesn't build any more.

> > #3 is the important point.  If you do want to send mail/procmail to
> > the great bitbucket in the sky, then please provide that magic
> > tool.  I'm sure lots of folks will be willing to test it for you.
>
> OK.  I've asked that on the courier-maildrop list.

Remember, it has to be a complete drop-in replacement.  MTA agnostic,
handle all the various command line arguments, and be totally backwards
compatible.

Seriously.  Find something more useful to do.

-aDe