ports/162049: The Ports tree lacks a framework to restart services

Ed Schouten ed at 80386.nl
Thu Oct 27 09:15:01 UTC 2011

Hi folks,

As crees@ suggested, I'm sending an email to ports@ about this.

What really bothers me when I use the FreeBSD Ports tree on one of my
systems, is that the behaviour of dealing with services is quite
inconsistent. As mentioned in the PR:

- If I upgrade Apache, MySQL or PostgreSQL, it does not restart the
  service, meaning it won't use the freshly installed daemon. This has
  potential security issues.

- If I upgrade Dovecot, it shuts it down during the upgrade, but won't
  restart it. This means that I have to watch portmaster to complete and
  must not forget to restart Dovecot afterwards.

My question is whether anyone has ever attempted to improve the
integration with rc-scripts? In the PR I propose something along these
lines:

	We know exactly which ports install rc scripts (USE_RC_SUBR).
	Why not run `/usr/local/etc/rc.d/${FOO} status' and
	`/usr/local/etc/rc.d/${FOO} stop' prior to installation. Based
	on the return value of the first, we can run
	`/usr/local/etc/rc.d/${FOO} start' after installation.

--
 Ed Schouten <ed at 80386.nl>
 WWW: http://80386.nl/