Alpine mail client discontinued?

Sean C. Farley scf at FreeBSD.org
Sun Oct 23 21:11:07 UTC 2011

On Sun, 16 Oct 2011, Doug Barton wrote:

> On 10/16/2011 15:49, Ted Hatfield wrote:
>>
>> A quick google search shows
>>
>> re-alpine
>>
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/re-alpine/develop
>> http://re-alpine.sourceforge.net/
>>
>> The continuation of the Alpine email client from University of
>> Washington.
>>
>> Maybe you would like to create a port.
>
> My read of the differences between the existing Alpine port and the last
> released version of re-alpine is that it's not worth disrupting the
> currently stable port. If anyone feels differently, just let me know.

For me, I have not noticed any difference, but I may not have been
hitting any code that has changed significantly.  I think the existing
port could easily use re-alpine's source without much change.  The
binary is still alpine.

Of course, this could (should?) wait until 9 is out the door.

Sean
--
scf at FreeBSD.org