[UPDATE] Re: Update on ports on 10.0

Stanislav Sedov stas at FreeBSD.org
Tue Oct 18 23:18:00 UTC 2011

On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 09:31:46 +1100
Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy at acm.org> mentioned:

> [trimming cc list]
>
> On 2011-Oct-17 13:51:30 -0700, Stanislav Sedov <stas at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> >ones (like GCC).  So why not commit that patch as a KNOB to bsd.port.mk like
> >it was initially proposed and let people use it in individual ports makefiles
> >to fix them (and portmgr@ can commit the initial bunch of these knobs)? This
> >is the easiest thing you can do now, and you will be able to abandon it when
> >the better solution is available (which is unlikely).
>
> Once hackish work-arounds get committed, it is extremely difficult to
> root them out.  The last time the project included a temporary hack to
> assist with a similar problem (the aout to ELF migration in FreeBSD
> 3), it took more than a decade to get the hack out of base and after
> 13 years, there are still 71 ports (by my count) with local work-arounds.

Peter, I would agree with you, but in this case there's no non-hackish
workaround available.  The broken libtool is embedded withing the
applications configure script and there's nothing we can do about it
except patching it.  Waiting a decade until they're fixed is not an
option.

--
Stanislav Sedov
ST4096-RIPE