Vim does not build with ruby19 (since ruby19 does not install the ruby command)

Nali Toja nalitoja at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 19:36:31 UTC 2011

Zhihao Yuan <lichray at gmail.com> writes:

>> Zhihao Yuan wrote on 11.10.2011 17:56:
>>
>>  Hi,
>>>
>>> I specified RUBY_DEFAULT_VER=1.9 in /etc/make.conf, and rebuild everything
>>> relates to ruby, and I found the successfully built Vim lacks of the ruby
>>> support.
>>>
>>> By default, vim requires the 'ruby' command when building WITH_RUBY=1, but
>>> ruby19 does not install the command.
>>>
>>> One solution is that to install the command as a symbol link, and mark
>>> ruby-1.8 and ruby-1.9 as conflicts.
>>>
>>> Another one only works for vim, to set the '--with-ruby-command=ruby19' as
>>> configure args.
>>>
>>> Any comments?
>>>

>> I'd check if we already have ${PREFIX}/bin/ruby, and if not - install
>> symlink. If ${PREFIX}/bin/ruby is already there - install just ruby1X. This
>> can be added to both ruby ports.
>
> I suggest that to make the 'ruby' command obey the RUBY_DEFAULT_VER setting,
> like what python ports do.

lang/ruby19 has this:

  INSTALLED_SCRIPTS=	irb erb rdoc ri ruby testrb
  [...]
  #
  # Link just installed "ruby" to "ruby18", etc.
  #
  .if ${RUBY_VER} == ${RUBY_DEFAULT_VER}
  . for FILE in ${INSTALLED_SCRIPTS}
          ${LN} -f ${PREFIX}/bin/${FILE}${RUBY_SUFFIX} ${PREFIX}/bin/${FILE}
  . endfor
  .endif

Does it work for you?