TeXLive

Romain Tartière romain at FreeBSD.org
Tue Oct 11 10:19:06 UTC 2011

Hello!

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 07:23:48AM -0500, Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
> On 10/10/2011 06:44 AM, Eitan Adler wrote:
> > Are there any plans on getting these committed to the mainline ports
> > tree? I'd be willing to work with you on that.
>
> I agree with Eitan.

I would also be pleased to see TeXLive in the FreeBSD ports (obviously).
There are a few issues to sort out before however:
  - The way TeXLive sources are distributed is not convenient: all
    binaries are built and installed from a single sources tarball.
    This leads to the "big" print/texlive-core but really lacks
    scalability.  Back in 2008, Hiroki Sato was working on splitting all
    this AFAICR.  Hiroki, I added you in Cc, can you please tell us if
    you had any progress on this topic?
  - The way TeXLive sources are distributed is not convenient (I feel
    like I am repeating myself): TeXLive packages tarballs are updated
    'in place' (distfiles filename do not include versioning information
    so when a tarball is updated, only it's checksum change).

At some users request a few weeks ago, I created a "place where we can
discuss freebsd-texlive".  Since the project is hosted at Google, I took
the simple option and created a Google group called freebsd-texlive:
http://groups.google.com/group/freebsd-texlive

While the general direction of TeXLive on FreeBSD discussion may
continue here, I think that each particular issue should be discussed on
this list so if you are interested in this topic, want to help, or have
any valuable knowledge in TeXLive, fill free to subscribe!

Regards,
Romain

--
Romain Tartière <romain at FreeBSD.org>  http://people.FreeBSD.org/~romain/
pgp: 8234 9A78 E7C0 B807 0B59  80FF BA4D 1D95 5112 336F (ID: 0x5112336F)