environment variables for portupgrade: /etc/make.conf or /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf?

Conrad J. Sabatier conrads at cox.net
Mon Oct 3 11:07:40 UTC 2011

On Mon, 3 Oct 2011 07:22:44 +0000 (GMT)
"Thomas Mueller" <mueller6727 at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> > > But I still want to know where portupgrade gets environment
> > > variables: /etc/make.conf, /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf (in
> > > Ruby?), or other.
>
> > > Tom
>
> > Set them in your shell's environment:
> >
> > export PORTSDIR=/BETA1/usr/ports
> > export PACKAGES=/usr/packages
>
> > --
> > Conrad J. Sabatier
> > conrads at cox.net
>
> Do I have to do this for every portupgrade command, or can I put
> these environment variable settings in a file, like /etc/make.conf
> or /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf ?

Put them in the rc file for your shell -- ~/{.bashrc,.shrc,.cshrc}
or ~/.profile.

> I left /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf in the modified state, modified
> lines being
>
>   ENV['PORTSDIR'] = '/BETA1/usr/ports'
>   ENV['PACKAGES'] = '/usr/packages'
>   # ENV['PORTSDIR'] ||= '/usr/ports'
>   # ENV['PACKAGES'] ||= ENV['PORTSDIR'] + '/packages'
>

> I suppose I could do a portupgrade with -n flag to see if my setup
> looks workable?

Sure,  BTW, I think, if you do use the above in your pkgtools.conf, you
probably want to stick to using the same operators ("||=") as the
examples.  I don't know the ruby language well enough at all to comment
further.

--
Conrad J. Sabatier
conrads at cox.net