environment variables for portupgrade: /etc/make.conf or /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf?

Thomas Mueller mueller6727 at bellsouth.net
Sun Oct 2 09:35:49 UTC 2011

How do I make environment variables used by portupgrade visible to portupgrade?

Portupgrade evidently ignores /etc/make.conf, and editing /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf also fails to help.

I want portupgrade to recognize
PORTSDIR=/BETA1/usr/ports
and
PACKAGES=/usr/packages

but continue to get

cd: /usr/ports: No such file or directory
cd: /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portupgrade: No such file or directory

when it should be looking for /BETA1/usr/ports

I was in directory /BETA1/usr/ports/print/py-reportlab2 ; offending command was

portupgrade -o py-reportlab2 py-reportlab | & tee portupg.log

I think that should have been

portupgrade -o print/py-reportlab2 print/py-reportlab | & tee portupg.log

That failed because print/py-reportlab had already been built and installed, so I had to pkg_delete it, then
build py-reportlab2 without portupgrade.

Problem arose because py-reportlab2, a dependency of print/hplip, was broken (did not package),
and I subsequently built and installed py-reportlab .

after a later "portsnap fetch update", I decided to go back to print/py-reportlab2 .

But I still want to know where portupgrade gets environment variables:
/etc/make.conf, /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf (in Ruby?), or other.

Tom