astro/boinc-milkyway errors

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at acm.org
Sat Oct 1 00:07:55 UTC 2011

On 2011-Sep-26 10:10:14 +0200, Luca Pizzamiglio <l.pizzamiglio at bally-wulff.de> wrote:
>Hi Peter, I'm [1]!

Ah...

>Boinc is changed and you don't need a native astro/boinc-milkyway port
>anymore...

If you build boinc-client with the "ALT" option set, it will
additionally (or maybe instead) accept 32-bit Linux clients
(i686-pc-linux-gnu).  I haven't tried this option yet but it
is probably a worthwhile option given the dearth of native
FreeBSD clients.

Whilst Milkyway offered a native am64 FreeBSD client, the platform
type didn't match the FreeBSD port and so wouldn't attach.  I've been
working with Matt Arsenault (one of the client developers) to iron out
some issues and it now all works.

pav@ has now removed the FreeBSD port since it didn't work.

There's currently no native i386 client - if anyone needs one, I
suggest they raise it on the Milkyway forums.

>Probably you need the Linux portability layer to run it correctly,

Yes.

> I guess the milkyway client is the linux one.

There are both but I gather you are using the Linux one.

--
Peter Jeremy