Linux compatibility with more than one Linux installed?

Wed Nov 30 14:43:46 UTC 2011

Hi,

The linux-base port is supposed to provide good integration into FreeBSD. Ideally the integration is seamless.

The linux-dist ports provide a complete linux environment. You chroot into it and you have a complete linux system. You can compile linux binaries inside the linux-dist. You can not do this with the linux-base.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
Send via an Android device, please forgive brevity and typographic and spelling errors. Daniel Nebdal <dnebdal at gmail.com> hat geschrieben:On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 10:05 AM, Lars Engels <lars.engels at 0x20.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 03:27:15PM +0100, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> you can install the gentoo linux-dist in parallel to the default
>> linux-base. Gentoo will be in /usr/local, not in /compat/linux. As
>> such you have to manually start programs there via chroot. This means
>> you do not have access to you FreeBSD files like normally, except you
>> do null-mounts into the gentoo area. It also means your experience
>> will not be as "integrated" as with the defaut linux-base (the
>> linux-base port does some effort to integrate FreeBSD config files and
>> installed resources like fonts).
>>
>> Just switching between them, like changing a symlink, is theoretically
>> possible, but the gentoo linux-dist port is not designed for this kind
>> of integration. It's a linux-"dist" port, not a linux-"base" port.
>
> What is it good for, then?

I'd guess it's useful if you want to build or install some more
complicated linux software, since you can use portage to handle the
installed software on the linux side independent of the FreeBSD side
(and you get to use portage to install linux packages).

Much the same idea as the debootstrap one, I guess. :)

--
Daniel Nebdal