Linux compatibility with more than one Linux installed?

Olivier Smedts olivier at gid0.org
Wed Nov 30 10:11:24 UTC 2011

2011/11/29 Alexander Leidinger <Alexander at leidinger.net>:
> Hi,
>
> you can install the gentoo linux-dist in parallel to the default linux-base. Gentoo will be in /usr/local, not in /compat/linux. As such you have to manually start programs there via chroot. This means you do not have access to you FreeBSD files like normally, except you do null-mounts into the gentoo area. It also means your experience will not be as "integrated" as with the defaut linux-base (the linux-base port does some effort to integrate FreeBSD config files and installed resources like fonts).
>
> Just switching between them, like changing a symlink, is theoretically possible, but the gentoo linux-dist port is not designed for this kind of integration. It's a linux-"dist" port, not a linux-"base" port.

You can also use sysutils/debootstrap to install Debian somewhere. I
use it with ZFS snapshots and clones and I'm really happy with it. To
install Linux packages I just chroot and apt-get. It's a less
straight-forward setup than with linux-base ports, but if you know
both FreeBSD and Debian that's maybe the way to go :)