Linux compatibility with more than one Linux installed?

Tue Nov 29 14:44:38 UTC 2011

Hi,

you can install the gentoo linux-dist in parallel to the default linux-base. Gentoo will be in /usr/local, not in /compat/linux. As such you have to manually start programs there via chroot. This means you do not have access to you FreeBSD files like normally, except you do null-mounts into the gentoo area. It also means your experience will not be as "integrated" as with the defaut linux-base (the linux-base port does some effort to integrate FreeBSD config files and installed resources like fonts).

Just switching between them, like changing a symlink, is theoretically possible, but the gentoo linux-dist port is not designed for this kind of integration. It's a linux-"dist" port, not a linux-"base" port.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
Send via an Android device, please forgive brevity and typographic and spelling errors. Thomas Mueller <mueller6727 at bellsouth.net> hat geschrieben:I noticed on http://www.freshports.org/commits.php an update to the Gentoo Linux distribution.

I know there are other Linux compatibility ports in the emulators category.

Is it possible to install more than one Linux compatibility package or actual Linux installation and switch from one to the other?

I might want to install a Linux compatibility package and still be able to run Linux software through an actual Linux installation, separate from the FreeBSD Linux compatibility package.

Or possibly be able to compare one Linux compatibility package to another.

Tom