Strange issues while upgrading ports

Edward myself at rdtan.net
Sat Nov 26 09:24:53 UTC 2011

On 11/25/11 10:14 PM, Kaya Saman wrote:
> Would you also advise to upgrade my BSD 'release'?

The FreeBSD Handbook have a section covering it :
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/updating-upgrading-freebsdupdate.html

My personal experience :
http://scratching.psybermonkey.net/2009/07/freebsd-how-to-upgrade-kernel-or-base.html

*** disclosure, that's my blog.

> If so I would upgrade to 8.2 as stated in a previous posting but since
> I'm running jails and many services aggregated into one machine, what's
> the best way to proceed?
>
> I'm currently just backing up /etc, /var, /usr/shared, /usr/local/etc,
> /usr/local/var, and /usr/local/shared.

Don't forget /usr/jails, that's where your jails live.

> Will the freebsd-upgrade tool wipe all my config files? Or will the
> upgrade be seamless?

You might wanna try freebsd-update on a box with customize config files
(e.g. /etc/hosts, /etc/ssh/sshd_config or blah blah blah) to have a feel
on how mergemaster works on merging config files. It took me a few
upgrade tries to get familiar with it. In general, if you've backup the
configs in /etc & /usr/local/etc, you can always restore the working
copy back and your services shouldn't fail :)