Strange issues while upgrading ports

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Fri Nov 25 12:51:30 UTC 2011

Kaya Saman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running FreeBSD version 8.0 x64 edition on my server with multiple
> jails.

< Detail deleted >

> Can anyone help with my issues??

8.0 is too old, November 2009
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/

8.0 Is not supported.
http://www.freebsd.org/security/security.html#sup

My machine ceased to crash when I moved from 8.0 to 8.2,
I seem to recall other problems eased too.

So upgrade to at least 8.1 !

If you management are saying stay at `proven' 8.0 rather than 8.2,
think again.

It's well known that .0 releases can be problematic, which is I
recall why 8.1 has extended support (even beyond 8.2), useful for
those who don't want to keep upgrading.

Yes, 9.0-RC2 is available for test for those wanting new features,
not for you if you'r still on 8.0. One would expect less stability
from 9.0-RC2 than 8.0. & no more from 9.0 than 8.0, so go for 8.1
or 8.2 then wait for 9.1 not 9.0.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below not above, cumulative like a play script, & indent with "> ".