"postfix-current" broken on amd64 platform

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Thu Nov 17 04:10:59 UTC 2011

On 11/16/2011 05:03, Wietse Venema wrote:
> I tend to believe that network-less build environments are not
> representative for the environment where an Internet MTA would run,
> but hey, what do I know.

I think you're right that having a network makes the MTA more useful. :)
 However given the prevalence and popularity of pre-packaged software in
the Unix world it's probably worth thinking about what parts of the
build/configuration process need to be done at build time, and what
parts should be done at run time.

Not only do I work on the FreeBSD project generally, I also maintain a
package building system that we use at $JOB to install packages on the
various remote hosts. Having those packages do the right thing even if
the package builder and the remote systems don't have identical
configurations is a huge advantage.

Doug

--

		"We could put the whole Internet into a book."
		"Too practical."