[removed ports] sysutils/cpuburn

Andriy Gapon avg at FreeBSD.org
Tue Nov 15 17:37:34 UTC 2011

on 15/11/2011 17:07 Baptiste Daroussin said the following:
> On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 04:34:22PM +0200, Andriy Gapon wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone know good any alternative(s) for cpuburn?
>> If not, then I would like to request that this port be restored.
>> I am prepared to be designated as its maintainer and to host its distfile (via my
>> FreeBSD account).
>>
>> Maintaining the port should be rather easy as it can not have any security issues
>> by definition and at the moment there is no active upstream, so no code changes
>> are expected.
>>
>> P.S. Sorry that I've missed its deprecation.  I haven't noticed the activity until
>> I needed to use it at yet another system.
>>

> I often use sysutils/stress don't know if that fits your needs?

I didn't know about this tool before...
Unfortunately I do not see a detailed description of how exactly it loads CPU and
if it does any validation/verification.  cpuburn is more explicit about this and
is kind of proven.  Besides it has additional stuff like e.g. burnBX/burnMMX.
So, I would I love to still have it.
Thank you for pointing me to sysutils/stress in any case.

--
Andriy Gapon