Recent ports removal

Dmitry Marakasov amdmi3 at amdmi3.ru
Thu Nov 10 11:06:45 UTC 2011

* Baptiste Daroussin (bapt at FreeBSD.org) wrote:

> > I noticed the following in the commit log:
> > %
> > %  Modified files:
> > %    .                    MOVED
> > %    devel                Makefile
> > %    graphics             Makefile
> > %  Removed files:
> > %    devel/soup           Makefile distinfo pkg-descr pkg-plist
> > %    devel/soup/files     patch-Makefile.in patch-configure
> > %                         patch-docs::reference::Makefile.in
> > %                         patch-soup-0.7.11-gcc41
> > %                         patch-src_libsoup_soup-message.c
> > %                         patch-src_libwsdl_wsdl-soap-memory.c
> > %                         patch-src_libwsdl_wsdl-soap-parse.c
> > %                         patch-src_libwsdl_wsdl-typecodes.c
> > %    graphics/clutter-qt  Makefile distinfo pkg-descr pkg-plist
> > %    graphics/librsvg     Makefile distinfo pkg-descr pkg-plist
> > %    graphics/librsvg/files patch-Makefile.in patch-configure
> > %                           patch-librsvg-config.in patch-rsvg-ft.c
> > %                           patch-test-ft-gtk.c patch-test-ft.c
> > %    graphics/p5-clutter  Makefile distinfo pkg-descr pkg-plist
> > %  Log:
> > %  2011-11-06 devel/soup: Unmaintain, use devel/libsoup
> > %  2011-11-06 graphics/clutter-qt: upstream distfile and doesn't build, and %doesn't seem to be developed anymore
> > %  2011-11-06 graphics/p5-clutter: upstream distfile disappeard, and doesn't seem to be developed anymore
> > %  2011-11-06 graphics/librsvg: unmaintained and not used anymore
> >
> > I just cannot get the commit message. librsvg -- not used by whom?  Personally,
> > I used it in one of my older projects (~ 10 years old) which I don't plan
> > to rework to use rsvg2/gtk2 because it doesn't make sense for it.  So how
> > do I use my project now on FreeBSD?
> >
> > It's also a lie that it's not maintained, it's maintained by ports@ mailing
> > list and the community.  So please, restore it.
> >
> > The same also probably goes for other ports, but I don't have enough details
> > to comment.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >

> They have been deprecated for a while and noone said anything about those, that
> is the purpose of the DEPRECATED status. The "not used anymore" mean not used in

Why should we go through it again and again? If it's not broken, it's
useable, you may not remove it, period.

> the portstree (ie no more depended on).

Most of the portstree is leaf ports, now what?

> If someone really needs it, he can:

What we need is to not have to do extra work and to not have extra noise
on the maillist because someone does unneeded things. I really don't
want to call that vandalism.

--
Dmitry Marakasov   .   55B5 0596 FF1E 8D84 5F56  9510 D35A 80DD F9D2 F77D
amdmi3 at amdmi3.ru  ..:  jabber: amdmi3 at jabber.ru    http://www.amdmi3.ru