Ports missing in their categories' Makefiles (revised list)

Conrad J. Sabatier conrads at cox.net
Wed Nov 2 01:24:44 UTC 2011

On Tue, 1 Nov 2011 19:17:06 -0500
Mark Linimon <linimon at lonesome.com> wrote:

> Every time we portmgrs start a package run we get a list of these.
> The command to do so is "make checksubdirs".  You can run it in
> either the top-level /usr/ports, or in /usr/ports/<category>/ .

Well, whaddya know?  I just learned something new in FreeBSD that I was
blissfully unaware of in my 15 years of usage.  :-)

> On a fairly regular basis (but not every time) we prod the people who
> committed the ports.  In most cases, it's a repocopy, where the
> repocopy is not yet finished (i.e. the new port's Makefile is
> identical to the old ports', and thus would break INDEX if
> connected.)  Sometimes the commit to the Makefile is just forgotten.
>
> These were the ones I saw 20111027:
>
> > audio/x11amp
> > databases/pgpool-II-30
> > games/xshisen
> > japanese/dvi2tty
> > japanese/plain2
> > www/typo345
> > x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel29
> > x11-wm/cl-stumpwm

I made a few more refinements this afternoon to the little script I had
hacked together earlier (and cleaned up my ports tree to eliminate
some of the bogus results I had gotten before), and wound up with the
following results:

x11amp not found in audio/Makefile
pgpool-II-30 not found in databases/Makefile
xshisen not found in games/Makefile
tkimg not found in graphics/Makefile
dvi2tty not found in japanese/Makefile
plain2 not found in japanese/Makefile
linux-opera-devel not found in www/Makefile
pecl-yaf not found in www/Makefile
typo345 not found in www/Makefile
xf86-video-intel29 not found in x11-drivers/Makefile
cl-stumpwm not found in x11-wm/Makefile

> The latter 2 I have asked about and was told "we're still working on
> getting those ports into shape."  However, they've been showing up on
> the list for quite some time now :-/
>
> These must have been new since then:
>
> > www/linux-opera-devel (committed by acm, no force commit yet)
> > www/pecl-yaf (committed by sunpoet, force commit noted)
>
> I don't see this in the repository, or in the Makefile, so I'm
> confused:
>
> > graphics/tkimg

Yes, this directory contains nothing but a Makefile in my ports tree.
No CVS dir or anything else.  Not sure how that got that way.

root:/usr/ports/graphics# cvs status tkimg
cvs status: Examining tkimg
cvs status: in directory tkimg:
cvs [status aborted]: there is no version here; do 'cvs checkout' first

> I don't know why you didn't see this next one, it was deleted then
> brought back by hrs@ but not yet re-added to the Makefile:
>
> ===> games
> Warning: directory xbat not in SUBDIR

A "cvs status" check on this one shows all files up to date, but...
A-ha!  I see a small bug in my script.  The grep command I've been
using found "xbat" in "xbattle".  :-)

> I'm also surprised you didn't see the following, it was a botch in the
> Makefile, which I have just fixed:
>
> ===> databases
> Warning: directory p5-KyotoCabinet not in SUBDIR

OK, this one slipped by because my script didn't notice the typo in the
Makefile ("uUBDIR +=" instead of "SUBDIR +=").  I was doing a very
simple-minded grep for the ports' directory names, which obviously is
insufficient.

> Thanks for taking a look at these.

More than welcome.  Thanks for calling my attention to these oversights
in my script, and for making me aware of the "make checksubdirs"
target.  :-)

This has been a rather productive day for me.  Cleaned up some problems
in my ports tree that I wasn't even aware of before, and discovered in
the process some further refinements I need to make to the script I was
using to check these things.

Of course, given that we already have a make target to do the job, my
script is a tad redundant.  Still, it's been an interesting
exercise.  :-)

--
Conrad J. Sabatier
conrads at cox.net