hyphen in PORTNAME... still bad?

Eitan Adler lists at eitanadler.com
Fri Mar 25 20:17:17 UTC 2011

>  Anyone remember the reason behind this portlint warning and whether
> it can be ignored?  (like several ports seem to do, even high-profile
> ones like boost-libs or docbook-xml...)
>
>        WARN: Makefile: using hyphen in PORTNAME. consider using PKGNAMEPREFIX and/or PKGNAMESUFFIX.
>
>  I'm sure there must have been a reason for the warning, but is it
> still valid?

The warning is talking about things such as the p5- prefix and the
-devel suffix. If your port name legitimately has a hyphen in it then
nothing should break. The warning is still valid but in this case
could safely be ignored.

> Or should I really set PKGNAMEPREFIX= vdr-plugin- like the
> warning suggests?

It is up to you, but I would leave it in the PORTNAME.

I would use PKGNAMEPREFIX for modules that don't contain the prefix in
their name (see mod_* that uses the apache prefix for examples).

--
Eitan Adler