[HEADS UP] Ports Infrastructure Changes

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Thu Mar 24 18:31:26 UTC 2011

On 03/24/2011 01:22, perryh at pluto.rain.com wrote:
> Doug Barton<dougb at freebsd.org>  wrote:
>
>>> This would be a good time to include ports-mgmt/pkg_search into
>>> the base system...
>>
>> It would be a better idea to put the pkg_* tools IN the ports tree
>> where they belong. :)
>
> Wouldn't this lead to a chicken-egg problem for those who use
> packages?  How would one go about installing the package installer?

1) The system installer installs the package that contains the latest
version of the pkg_* tools by default.
2) Have a stub program in the base whose only purpose is to download and
install the latest version of the pkg_* tools.

The benefits of this are that we can introduce new features to the pkg_*
tools very quickly, rather than with a 3 year (or more) lead time like
we do now.

Doug

			-- OK Go