[HEADS UP] Ports Infrastructure Changes

Peter Jeffery peterj at mister-j.dyndns.org
Thu Mar 24 12:57:48 UTC 2011

On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 18:34:35 -0000, Olivier Smedts <olivier at gid0.org>
wrote:

> 2011/3/23 Doug Barton <dougb at freebsd.org>:
>> On 03/23/2011 03:48, Peter Jeffery wrote:
>>>
>>> If I was looking for the Opera port, I'd look in www-clients and if
>>> it wasn't in there then the next thing that I would be doing is hand
>>> searching the INDEX file
>>
>> cd /usr/ports/ && make search name=opera
>
> Or
> find /usr/ports -maxdepth 2 -name opera
> Slower than make search but faster than building an INDEX file before
> make search !

So, considering it is so easy to find where the port it, does it really
matter where it goes ?

I would have thought that the only structure that won't result in
potential restructuring all
of the time is one that doesn't depend on separation by package class.

So something like:

All/o/opera

you can then build category based directories with symlinks to the main
location based on what categories
the port reports that it is in, but these directories are really just
helpers for find ports.

I'm sure that something like this has been mentioned before. But I don't
see what else is going to stop
the categorization issue popping up all of the time.