KDE and GNOME release packages do not play well together

Alex Dupre ale at FreeBSD.org
Tue Mar 22 20:20:05 UTC 2011

John Baldwin ha scritto:
> This would appear to no longer be a supported use case in for 8.2 packages
> (and if you believe posts on the forums, 8.1 was equally broken).  Namely,
> some package the GNOME depends on wants to use unixODBC, and some other
> package that KDE depends on wants to use libiodbc.  The simplest suggestion in
> the forums appears to be to change the gnome package (devel/ptlib26) to use
> libiodbc instead.

Even if it could be simpler (is it?), I think unixODBC is a more common
choice these days, so changing the KDE ports could be better.

A few stats:
- ports supporting both unixODBC and iODBC: 17
- ports supporting only unixODBC: 29
- ports supporting only iODBC: 8

I don't have personal experience, but the two ports should be completely
interchangeable, so we could add support for USE_ODBC in
bsd.databases.mk and allow the user to choose the odbc implementation
(with one [unixODBC?] as default to create consistent packages).

--
Alex Dupre